Monday, March 30, 2009

Card Sets

One of my favorite and most often requested gifts is card sets. Cards are a great gift because they are personal, hand made and consumable. Now days so many of us are simplifying so gifts that can be used up are especially welcome.

When making card sets it's best to spend some time thinking about the recipient. Beyond design concerns, you should ask yourself if the person you are making the cards for sends photos or writes long letters. If either is the case it is best to make your sets greeting card size as opposed to note card as 4x6 prints fit nicely inside and there is a lot of room to write. The cards below are greeting card sized.

Sets work best when they all share the same color scheme, design or a common element. In my example, all the cards follow the same design pattern but the different papers and colors make each one unique. This also is a great example of how versatile one stamp can be and how color evokes a different mood. Choosing a theme for your card set is also a nice touch. I chose hats for my theme, this hat stamp and some quotes about hats - the rest came together easily.

When packaging card sets you can make or repurpose a box or you can simply stack them with envelopes and tie them with a bow. I've done all three and tied with a ribbon always seems to elicit the most excitement.





These cards use Odd Bird Planet's Pointy Hats which is part of the sale going on right now.

3 comments:

Kathi said...

Great card set! I love those quotes, especially the politician one.

Kristen H said...

These are great! I love how you layered your quote with all that wonderful paper!

Kristen H said...

I did a card with a quote matted under the paper today, I like how it looks. I am posting it on my blog, but I am putting a link to your post as a thank you for the idea. I hope you don't mind the link back. If you do, let me know and I will take it off.
Have a great day!